You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 31 - August 2012
|Welcome to the August edition of the Revolution Newsletter! Every month, we bring you the latest news about R from Revolution Analytics and around the Web. We include tips and tricks on using R, events of interest to the R community, and information about products and initiatives from the team at Revolution Analytics. This newsletter is for you, so let us know what you think -- send us feedback at my email address below. If you find this newsletter valuable, forward it to your friends. And if you've received this newsletter from a friend, you can subscribe here to get your own copy each month. Enjoy!
David Smith, VP Marketing and Community
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Revolution Analytics expands to Asia. We're excited to announce the latest outpost of the Revolution Analytics team is now open in Singapore, with participation from the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore.
Williams Sonoma uses Revolution R Enterprise. By teaming up with UpStream Software and their online marketing analytics platform, the kitchenware and home furnishings retailer makes use of advanced statistical models and millions of records per day to optimize marketing operations.
Public R Training Courses. A few seats remaining for Visualization in R with ggplot2 (in Redwood City, CA on August 28). Or attend one of our online live-instructions courses from your desktop: Big Data Analytics with RevoScaleR (Sep 6-7), Intro to R for Data Mining (Sep 13 & 20), and Marketing Analytics with R (Sep 25-28).
Big Data Innovation in Boston. Come see how Revolution R Enterprise is used for Big Data Science at the Big Data Innovation conference in Boston, September 13-14.
Call for Beta Testers. The next release of Revolution R Enterprise will include Big Data decision trees, enhanced XDF file format for R with file compression, and the ability to analyze data from the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
The Revolutions blog brings you daily news and tips about R, statistics and open source. Here are some highlights from Revolutions from the past month.
The June 2012 edition of the R Journal is now available, with articles on text classification, environmental data analysis, time series analysis and many more.
Twitter's Ed Chen used R to analyze uses of language around the world to create this map of "soda" vs "pop" preferences.
The new ggmap package for R makes it easy to combine Google maps with spatial data, and was used to create this map of Napa Valley winery locations.
The lpSolveAPI package has powerful mixed-integer programming capabilities, as this cargo optimization example demonstrates.
Learn how more than 500 statisticians at Google use R for big-data forecasting of online ad performance.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- August 27: The Data Science DC group reveals the results of a survey of data scientists.
- August 28: The Denver R User Group argues that knitr is better than Sweave, while the Vancouver R User Group discusses Open Science tools for R.
- August 30: The R user group in Washington DC features a presentation on handling missing data with R.
- September 1: The Dublin R User Group hosts an 'Introduction to R' workshop.
- September 3: The Sydney Users of R Forum has a talk on Social Network Analysis to Reduce Risk.
- September 4: There will be two talks on R for medical data in Dublin, while the Connecticut R Users Group has a session on "How to Build R Packages".
- September 11: In Melbourne R users will learn how to speed up their R code, while in the San Francisco Bay area two engineers at Google explain how R is used there.
- September 13: R user group meeting in Basel.
- September 18: Finance and Big Data feature at the R user group meeting in London, and there's a meeting of the Cincinnati R User Group.
- September 20: The New York Open Statistical Programming Meetup hosts a lecture from Bloomberg Sports on Advanced Sports Analytics in Broadcasting.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups--and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.