You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 40 - June 2013
While some of you are looking forward to a nice, relaxing summer, the team at Revolution is ramping things up with tradeshows, training courses, meeting sponsorships and webinars. We are especially looking forward to Hadoop Summit and useR! Hope to see you soon in person or online.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
David Smith, VP Marketing and Community
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
The June Gaming Analytics Webinar is only 1 day away! Still time to register...
Read more about the webinar and why R is an excellent choice for the analysis and techniques used.
Revolution Analytics in the News:
- Dell, Intel and Revolution Analytics Collaborate to Launch Big Data Innovation Center in Singapore
- Want to know how to entice and hire today's best & brightest data scientists?
- [X+1] Selects Revolution Analytics to Power Next Generation Predictive Optimization Engine...
- View from the Top by our CEO, Dave Rich this is part of our being named to Database Trends and Applications Top 100 Companies that Matter Most in Data
- "One of the big advantages of using the R Hadoop packages is that you only need to learn one language. The alternative is to learn Java and Pig and Hive just to be able to do an abstraction and analysis of the data."
New R Training Courses
Are your SAS, SPSS & Stata colleagues looking to add R to their programming skills? We have the perfect course for them on 17Jun13.
Is your data well managed? Do you and your team want to learn best practices for managing your data? Here's your course on 21Jun13.
Check out the R Course Catalog for the complete list.
Featured Archive Video: An Introduction to R for SAS & SPSS Users
Revolution Analytics is proud to sponsor and attend the following events.
Hadoop Summit, June 26-27, San Jose, CA
Hortonworks and Yahoo! are pleased to host the 6th Annual Hadoop Summit, the leading conference for the Apache Hadoop community. This two-day event will feature many of the Apache Hadoop thought leaders who will showcase successful Hadoop use cases, share development and administration tips and tricks, and educate organizations about how best to leverage Apache Hadoop as a key component in their enterprise data architecture. Mario Inchiosa, Chief US Data Scientist at Revolution Analytics, will be presenting High Performance Predictive Analytics in R and Hadoop on Thursday, June 27 at 1:15 pm. Hear the approach Revolution Analytics has taken to porting our suite of High Performance Analytics algorithms to run natively and efficiently in Hadoop.
useR! Conference 2013, July 10-12, Albacete, Spain
This is the main meeting of the R user and developer community, its program consisting of both invited and user-contributed presentations.
BioC 2013, July 18-19, Seattle, WA
This conference highlights current developments within and beyond Bioconductor, an international open source and open development software project for the analysis and comprehension of high-throughput genomic data.
Customer Analytics & Intelligence Conference, July 22-24, San Diego, CA
Explore all the latest research methodologies and ways to action insights to drive your business forward. Topics will include big data, understanding consumer choice, mobile insights, neuroscience, consumer psychology, social media listening and customer centricity.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
The Engineering Manager for Data Visualization at Twitter used R's ggmap package to create beautiful maps from billions of geotagged Tweets.
How Google, The New York Times, Facebook, FourSquare, Twitter and other leading companies are using R today.
A script to simulate an escape from a Zombie horde provides useful tips on creating animations in R.
An updated list of online resources for R users, including the top 3 resources for R beginners.
A useful guide to speeding up R code, by Noam Ross.
How the New York Times again used R to visualize NFL draft picks.
Upcoming R User Group Events
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- June 13: KRUG, the Knoxville R User's Group will learn about affinity propagation clustering.
- June 13: The Orange County R User's Group will host a free webinar on the apcluster package
- June 13: TCRUG, The Minneapolis R User Group will host Hadley Wickham who will speak about how easy it is to build R packages
- June 15: The Wiesbaden R User Group will hold the official meeting for FUxCon 2013
- June 15: The New Delhi UseR Group will meet
- June 15: Data Community DC will hold and Intro to R Workshop
- June 17: The Sheffield R User's Group will consider a data visualisation exercise during their 3rd ever meetup.
- June 17: The New York Open Statistical Programming Meetup will learn how to create and share interactive web-friendly content with R
- June 18: The Denver R User Group will look into the Amazon Cloud and R
- June 18: The Los Angeles area R Users Group will discuss Data Science 2.0
- June 20: The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill R Users Group will hold an R Hackathon: Running R on the Amazon Cloud
- June 20: Grupo de Interes Local de Madrid - GIL Madrid will look at structural equation modeling with R and the lavaan package.
- June 24: Dublin R will host Hadley Wickham speaking on big data visualization with the BigVis package
- June 25: CinDay Rug will see how to generate custom Microsoft Excel Output using R's XLConnect package.
- June 27 - 28: Deuxiemes rencontres R, A Revolution Analytics sponsored Conference will be held in Lyon
- June 30 - July 4: The Meielisalp Workshop and Summer School, A Revolution Analytics sponsored event, will be held in Thune Switzerland
- July 15: The R in Insurance Conference will take place in London
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups--and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/careers