You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 41 - July 2013
Well, we are enjoying useR! and will be on our way to BioConductor soon. Next month we hope to see a lot of you at JSM in Montreal. All this globetrotting has got us thinking about how many of you are engaged in using and improving the R language, and it is exciting! Still lots of great news coming this summer and, as always, we want to hear how we can continue to improve this newsletter and all the other resources we provide on our website.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
Let’s Be Quick About This! Quick Start Programs
We’ve got three great ways for you and your team to get started with Revolution R Enterprise quickly and successfully - The Quick Start Programs! Click on the program names to find out the details for each and then use the contact us link to let us know you are ready to go!
- Quick Start Revolution R Enterprise + Hadoop
- Quick Start Open Source R to Revolution R Enterprise
- Quick Start SAS to Revolution R Enterprise
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
July’s Webinar: Using Survival Analysis for Marketing Attribution July 17th, 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM EDT
Survival analysis is widely used in the modeling of living organisms and time to failure of components, but Chandler-Pepelnjak (2010) proposed to use survival analysis for marketing attribution analysis. Join our webinar to learn more about this theory and a big data case study, showing how DataSong uses Revolution Analytics to process 50 million survival models each day.
- We had a great time at Hadoop Summit in San Jose, CA. Several customers, prospects, and partners sought us out in our booth to talk about their upcoming projects and how they could implement an environment utilizing both Hadoop and Revolution R Enterprise. The record attendance was engaging and enthusiastic with more than 150 participants attending Mario Inchiosa’s presentation on High Performing Predictive Analytics with R and Hadoop. If you missed his talk, you can see his presentation slide deck on SlideShare.
- Revolution R Enterprise has been nominated as a Top Innovator under three categories: Big Data Technologies, Data Science Technologies and Data Visualization Technologies for the 2013 Dataweek Awards. Voting is now open. Registration only takes about 1 minute, so please take a moment to create an account and cast your vote. You can vote directly for Revolution R Enterprise by clicking the "Add Endorsement" button from the Revolution R Enterprise page.
- New Case Study Available: American Century Investments builds and deploys a comprehensive equities trading research and production platform on Revolution R Enterprise. See how and why they did it in this 6-minute video.
- ICYMI: Gaming Analytics Webinar Replay is available!
Big Data and statistical modeling is changing how video games are made and sold. Data analytics are helping to identify bottlenecks for new players, detect fraud, and maximize in-app purchases. Learn how in this recorded webinar presentation by industry expert Bill Grosso.
Revolution Analytics in the News:
Our customer American Century Investments was featured in SCS magazine in Singapore.
Our partner, Mu Sigma, tells the world about new in-Hadoop algorithms built with components from our open source RHadoop project.
AcademyR - Training and Education
Do you have new people on the team? Would you like to refresh your knowledge and pick up the latest tips, tricks and best practices for R programming? Then you should check out our Revolution Analytics Core Curriculum. Contact us today to set your team up with an onsite or online course package.
- Introduction to R
- Data Visualization in R
- Big Data Analytics with Revolution R Enterprise
- Big Data Predictive Modeling with Revolution R Enterprise
New Fall Course Schedule is Now Available!
Learn how to better manage your data, how to build Big Data analytic models and much more! Check out our dates and times and register soon to take advantage of our earlybird discount.
Featured Archive Video: The Rise of Data Science in the Age of Big Data Analytics
Revolution Analytics is proud to sponsor and attend the following events.
BioC 2013, July 18-19, Seattle, WA
This conference highlights current developments within and beyond Bioconductor, an international open source and open development software project for the analysis and comprehension of high-throughput genomic data
Customer Analytics & Intelligence Conference, July 22-24, San Diego,CA
Explore all the latest research methodologies and ways to act on insights to drive your business forward. Topics will include big data, understanding consumer choice, mobile insights, neuroscience, consumer psychology, social media listening and customer centricity.
JSM 2013, August 3-8, Montreal, Canada (Booth #901)
JSM (the Joint Statistical Meetings) is the largest gathering of statisticians held in North America. Attended by more than 6,000 people, meeting activities include oral presentations, panel sessions, poster presentations, continuing education courses, an exhibit hall, career placement services, society and section business meetings, committee meetings, social activities and networking opportunities. This is our kind of event.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
The Revolutions blog brings you daily news and tips about R, data science and open source. Here are some recent highlights, and you can find more articles in our monthly roundup.
Find a new favorite beer and learn how to build online-applications based on recommendation systems with R in this in-depth tutorial from the yhat blog.
A tutorial on how to create better-looking decision trees (even from Big Data) in R.
A list of the most popular R packages by number of downloads.
A mini-tutorial on using the Quandl package to import public financial data sets into R.
An interactive application maps dialect differences across the USA and answers the question “Soda or Pop?”.
Some very useful guidelines for setting up a reproducible R project.
Upcoming R User Group Events
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- July 15: The R in Insurance Conference will take place in London
- July 16: LondonR will hear talks by Revolution Analytics’ Andrie de Vries on Using Survival Analysis for Marketing Attribution, Mango Solutions’ Richard Pugh on Creating and Building Applications in R and Rstudio’s Hadley Wickham on BigR Data.
- July 16: Vienna<-R will hear presentations on Time Series analysis and Project Euler.
- July 17: The Melbourne Users of R Network (MelbURN) will engross themselves in The Shocking Confessions of an R Cheerleader. Among the revelations will be strategies: “ for ‘selling’ R, and pleasantly surprising clients with its power, graphical beauty and ease of implementation and use”
- July 17: LuxR will meet for dinner in Luxembourg
- July 18: BioC 2013, The Bioconductor conference begins in Seattle.
- July 19: RUGS, the R User Group in Singapore will begin their 3 day, ‘Smart Cities Hackathon’.
- July 19: KölnR, the Köln R User Group will discuss Twitter and the Euro-Dollar Rates and Networks in R using igraph.
- July 23: The Portland R User Group will sponsor a presentation on Benchmarking and Technology Forecasting using DEA in R and Shiny.
- July 26: The Munich useR Group will conduct a useR Hackathon
- July 30: The Birmingham R Users Meeting, will conduct a “hands on”, parallel programming in R session.
- August 1: The Pittsburgh useR Group will learn about Making Your Toolbox Shine with Shiny and see A Coarse-Grained Exploratory Diachronic Analysis of a Corpus of Fidel Castro’s Speeches and interviews (1959 - 1996).
- August 3: JSM2013, The Joint Statistical Meeting, begins in Montreal
- August 8: The Manchester R User Group will meet.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/careers