You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 44 - October 2013
Welcome to the October edition of the Revolution Analytics newsletter. By now you may have heard the news with our partner Alteryx and we hope you will join us for both our joint webinar and tweet-up in November. There is a lot going on this fall and we hope you will reach out with your questions and comments.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Did you miss our last webinars? Click through below to watch them now!
- The Modern Data Architecture for Predictive Analytics with Revolution Analytics and Hortonworks Data Platform
- Read more about our partnership with Hortonworks
- R+Hadoop - Ask Bigger (and New) Questions and Get Better, Faster Answers with Cloudera
- Read more about our partnership with Cloudera
- Using Time to Event Models for Prediction and Inference with DataSong
Upcoming Webinars & Online Events, Register for your spot, today:
- 05Nov13 - Introducing Revolution R Enterprise 7: The Big Data Big Analytics Platform
- Join us for an in depth look at the new features and functions delivered in the newest version of our Big Data Big Analytics platform.
- 06Nov13 - RRE 7 Tweet Up 2-3 PM PST #RRE7
- Can't join the webinar or want to ask the team a direct question? Then grab your Twitter handle and submit your questions and comments online and get feedback in real time!
- 12Nov13 - Big Data Analytics with Teradata and Revolution Analytics
- Join Revolution Analytics and Teradata to see how we provide in-database analytics in Teradata's 14.10 database and why this delivers faster, more comprehensive results for your analytics efforts. Read more about our partnership with Teradata.
- 13Nov13 - In-Database Tweet Up with Teradata & Revolution Analytics 2-3 PM PST #TDREVO
- If you can't make the webinar or just have questions or comments for the team, grab your Twitter handle and let us know with the hashtag #TDREVO
- 19Nov13 - Enterprise Analytics without Programming from Alteryx and Revolution Analytics - Registration link coming soon!
- Join us to see our ground-breaking integration with Alteryx and how we are delivering complex and meaningful analytics results to the everyday business consumer
- 20Nov13 - Zero Programming Analytics Tweet Up with Alteryx & Revolution Analytics 2-3 PM PST #R4BUSINESS
- We are making the team available to answer your questions live on Twitter. So join us online and let's talk about analytics, automation and serving the line-of-business user.
Revolution Analytics in the News:
Teradata Offers First, Fully-Parallel, Scalable R Analytics
Database Trends and Applications: 5 Questions with Revolution Analytics' David Smith
Global Banking and Finance Review: Revolution Analytics - High Performance R Analytics for the Enterprise
451 Research (subscription Required): Revolution Analytics sets sights on global sales, takes R inside Cloudera’s Hadoop
Cloud Computing News: Teradata 14.10 ups in-memory and in-database analytics
IT Business Edge: Stay out of Ethical Hot Water When Integrating Big Data
Forbes: Gaining Access to the Best Machine Learning Methods
AcademyR - Training and Education
Using R with Hadoop - December 9th, 11th & 13th, 2012
This course provides the experienced R programmer with an introduction to the use of R in the Hadoop environment through the RHadoop packages. This includes an overview and practical examples of use of the rhdfs, rhbase, and rmr packages for accessing the Hadoop’s Distributed File System (HDFS), interact with the HBase NoSQL database, and writing Map Reduce jobs from R respectively. The class uses a combination of lecture and labs.
Featured Archive Video: Order Fulfillment Forecasting at John Deere: How R Facilitates Creativity and Flexibility
Teradata Partner Conference & Expo - Oct 20-24, 2013 - Dallas, TX
Empower yourself with the knowledge to do more with data than you ever thought possible. Learn from the brightest executives, business analysts, data scientists and technologists as they showcase innovation and world-class methodologies for data integration, big data analytics, operations, integrated marketing management and more! Visit us at booth #610.
Revolution Analytics will have 3 speakers at this year’s event:
Lee Edelfsen, Chief Scientist
Session Title: High Performance Predictive Analytics In-Database in Teradata with R
Session Date & Time: Sunday October 20 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Ballroom C3
Michele Chambers, Chief Strategy Officer and VP of Product Management (invited by Alteryx)
Session Title: Giving Business Users a Graphical Interface to Maximize Teradata UDA
Session Date & Time: Monday, Oct 21 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Room C142
Bill Jacobs, Director of Product Marketing
Session Title: Big Data Analytics on Teradata: An Intro to Revolution R Enterprise
Session Date & Time: Wednesday, Oct 23 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Room D221
Click here to register for the Networking Reception Hour to learn more about Revolution Analytics and our partners Alteryx, Tableau Software, and Teradata.
Date: Monday, October 21, 2013
Time: 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Location: Room A115, Dallas Convention Center
Strata Conference + Hadoop World - Oct 28-30, 2013 - New York, NY
Strata + Hadoop World is where big data's most influential decision makers, architects, developers, and analysts gather to shape the future of their businesses and technologies. Since joining forces last year, Strata + Hadoop World is also one of the largest gatherings of the Apache Hadoop community in the world, with emphasis on hands-on and business sessions on the Hadoop ecosystem. Revolution Analytics is pleased to offer you a 20% discount on registration fees to attend this year’s event. Please use the following code: REVOLUTION20. Visit us at booth #77.
IBM Information on Demand - Nov 3-8, 2013 - Las Vegas, NV
Information on Demand is IBM’s premier event for their Information Management division including the IBM PureData (formerly Netezza) product. As a partner of IBM PureData, Revolution Analytics is excited to participate in this conference. Come by booth #914 to see new demos, hear about our latest product and how Revolution Analytics integrates with IBM PureData.
Cloud Expo Asia - November 13-14, 2013 - Suntec Exhibition Centre, Singapore
The leading event in Asia for senior IT decision makers in client side and public sector organisations, as well as the cloud industry. The event includes a world-class conference programme with over 140 speakers including 50 case-studies and an exhibition of 100 leading international suppliers. Our General Manager for APAC, Laurence Liew, will be speaking in the Big Data & Analytics Theatre. Come see us in boot #J03.
Southern California Big Data Executive Summit - Dec 4, 2013 - Los Angeles, CA
The challenge of analyzing and harnessing the power of Big Data to drive business value requires innovative leadership. How well is your organization managing the data explosion and capitalizing on the opportunities it presents? To what extent are you extracting value from the data at your disposal? These questions necessitate a convergence of leaders with an interest in and a responsibility for their organization’s Big Data.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
The Revolutions blog brings you daily news and tips about R, data science and open source. Here are some recent highlights, and you can find more articles in our monthly roundup.
R was named the top language for data science for the third year running in the latest KDNuggets poll.
Reports from the alpha test of the Revolution Analytics' RevoScaleR package running in Hadoop.
A tutorial on how to set up R, Hadoop and RHadoop on a single workstation/laptop (for learning or testing).
An algorithm finds the "most concave" US state — with R code for producing an animated chart showing how it works.
Tips for data scientists on using R as part of a command-line tool chain.
Hortonworks shares some resources for getting started with Data Science and R.
Upcoming R User Group Events
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- October 1: Revolution Analytics’ 2014 R User Group Sponsorship Program got underway! We are now considering request for sponsorship at three levels of support Vector, Matrix and Array. Groups who qualify are eligible for grants of $100, $500 and $1,000 respectively.
- October 15: R Addicts Paris is hosting a webinar on Revolution R Enterprise.
- October 16: The Melbourne Users of R Network (melbURN) will learn how to win $3 million using R
- October 16: Dublin R will conduct a workshop on TIme Series Analysis
- October 16: The Nashville R Users Group will consider the cooperative analysis of a shared dataset
- October 16: The Seattle useR Group will look at dplyr - the next generation of plyr
- October 17: Western Mass Data Science, Stats, and R will talk stats and baseball with Ben Baumer and Greg Matthews
- October 17: The Alamo City R Users Group will listen to Revolution Analytics, Alteryx and Cloudera present on advances in Big Data and Analytics at the Hyatt Regency in San Antonio
- October 17: The Twin Cities R User Group (TCRUG) will explore data, animation and speeding up R
- October 17: Dublin R will hold a morning R Learners workshop: Computing for Data Analysis.
- October 18: The Hobart R Users Group will consider apply() and its relatives.
- October 18: Köln R user Group will watch presentations on the Open Data Project and XLConnect
- October 21: The Burlington R Users will talk about the Shiny web applications framework
- October 21: The R Matlab Users in Toronto will hash out trading ideas over dinner.
- October 22: Western Mass Data Science, Stats, and R will contemplate the mapping spatial dynamics of the yellowtail flounder in the Northeast shelf with R
- October 22: The Los Angeles area R users group will hear presentations on dynamic documents with R and knitr and structural equation modeling in R
- October 22: The Portland R User Group will learn about a web application built with RHTML, GitHub Pages, knitr and RStudio
- October 22: The R and Matlab Users will host a webinar on Introduction to Next Generation Trading with focus on Quant, Automated Trading.
- October 22: The New York Open Statistical Programming Meetup will look into Divide and Recombine (D&R) as a strategy for dealing with large complex data.
- October 23: The Sydney Users of R Forum (SURF) will learn about improving analytics with packages: from first principles to RStudio
- October 24-25: Milano R Net will sponsor a course on Statistical Models with R
- October 24: The Budapest Users of R Network will discuss ggplot2: the grammar of graphics
- October 24: Statistical Programming DC will learn how to put their meetup on the map
- October 28: The R Matlab Users will host a webinar on Trading infrastructure for quant hft with DotNet Matlab Interactive Brokers IQFe. A topic to bb considered will be R vs Python vs Matlab.
- October 29: CinDay RUG will meet to discuss ggplot2 and share member presentations.
- October 29: BaselR will meet.
- October 29: The Vancouver R User’s Group will discuss Machine Learning and R
- November 1: The Knoxville R Users Group (KRUG) will listen to a series or 20 minute R talks.
- November 5: The Durban R User Group will meet.
- November 13: Data Science Luxembourg will consider applied data science in Luxembourg.
- November 14: The Los Angeles area R user group will consider the “unsexy” part of data science: data munging.
Revolution Analytics sponsored more than 60 local R user groups in 2013, and is now taking sponsorship applications for 2014.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/careers